Wednesday, May 5

I have been "going" to school for the past three years to obtain my masters in library science--M.L.S. Here are some questions I recently answered for a prospective student. Probably more than you ever needed to know about library school...

This is a series I've posted the past few Wednesdays.

***

I'd also be curious to hear about the types of projects/papers etc. that are required for the courses.

Have you taken any of the archives courses? I am currently examining different programs and also looking at the possibility of getting the archives certificate rather than a full MLS.

Honestly, I don't think the projects, papers or classes are too challenging. In fact, I think a lot of people can skate by. Ultimately, you get out what you put into it. I would suggest that you get the full masters degree instead of the certificate unless you know of a library where the archives certificate is acceptable. Most libraries, I believe, want the M.L.S., especially in this competitive market--more people are searching for jobs in the library field because of budget cuts and lay-offs.

***

Well, what do think?

No comments: