Tuesday, December 23

food allergies continued...

I'm pretty convinced that O is allergic to dairy. After eliminating it, I ate just an ounce or so and his cheeks immediately flared up after I fed him. Unfortunately, I'm also pretty convinced that he's allergic to some other things as well. One suspect is nuts. On the days that I've drank almond milk he's also had a reaction. Now I'm thinking that tree nuts may be a problem as well. Yesterday I ate a candy which had pecans in it, he had a reaction. When I put walnuts in my oatmeal, he also had a reaction too.

Strangely, he hasn't been eating his solid food with the same enthusiasm as before. Yesterday when I tried to feed him the homemade baby food peas I'd made, he gagged and his cheeks flushed. I checked to see if peas are related to tree nuts. They are related to peanuts. I'll have to watch his reaction after I eat those. So far he's been okay with me eating them.

Then this morning when I tried to feed him acorn squash and pears (trying to give him as much fiber as possible since he has not pooped for a week, a possible side-effect of allergies) he, again, gagged.

Back to the computer to do more research...

We can do several things here: consult our pediatrician, delay solid foods for a few months, consult the homeopathic allergist my co-worker knows, keep a food diary. I will have to talk it over with S.

Is there anyone else out there who had/has food allergies who can give me some insight and hope? This is very frustrating and frightening. Did/does your babe have reactions to certain foods? What did you do?

2 comments:

scott said...

Poor little guy. :( Yes, lets discuss.

Greg Smith said...

Can the doctor not do a scratch test or something? It would seem that there should be a test for this kind of thing.

On a side-note, head to our blog and check out our wedding photo collage...

on another side note, happy impending b-day!