Thursday, October 23

Yesterday I went to see my midwife for my yearly check up. I tell you this in an effort to urge you to go to your doctor for your physical. Something small can mean something big, like a little spot on your arm or a tiny lump even you couldn't feel.

My doc and I discussed testing for the breast cancer genes--BRCA1 and BRCA2. Since I'm breastfeeding, I'm going to wait until after I've finished, at least a year, before I make the decision to get tested. In the meantime, my mom will be tested when she's done being treated for her cancer. My grandmother had ovarian cancer, also linked with BRCA1 and BRCA2. This connection strengthens the possiblity that we may have one of the genes.

I'm ambivilent about being tested. What if I do have one of the genes? Should I consider a hysterectomy and/or a masectomy? Should I have more children, possibly passing the gene along? Does O have it? If he has daughters, will they have it? How soon will there be a cure for either or both cancers?

Maybe I shouldn't get tested...

Women who have an abnormal BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene have up to an 85% risk of developing breast cancer by age 70.

2 comments:

DaddyMan said...

My mantra...don't try to change something that can't be changed, and cross bridged when you come to them. Pink has blood clot conditions that I won't go into detail with, but we knew c-section #2 was going to be risky business. Since we didn't have a choice, she took the precautions she could and we went through with it.

No clots, no worries.

With #1, we didn't have a clue. With the twins, we did know. Knowledge is power, and it gives you the strength to be prepared. Did is suck knowing? Yes, but I also knew what could happen and how to respond. Not knowing and having it happen would have been worse because it would have been thrust upon us.

But, as with all things, it's your body and your choice. Don't let anyone take that away from you.

Katie :) said...

To test or not to test? That is a good question. Thanks for sharing openly about that... it's a good thing for me to think about too.

I'll be thinking happy thoughts and praying for your mom.